Thursday, May 12, 2011

Observations from the cheap seats

   I recently took a loved one to the DMV.  I know, its as much as fun as taking a relative to the airport during a hail storm in middle of rush hour traffic and getting stuck in said traffic after you had two cups of coffee and a bran muffin.

I made sure she had all of her paperwork filled out completely; check book ready, etc -bing-bam-boom. We were good to go!

Also- thought it prudent to go in the middle of the week- NOT on a Monday and Friday, arguably the WORST days to go.  I figured might as well get there early-do NOT want to contend with lunch hour crowd.

 Right. So far, so good. We get there and have to wait on the already long, sinuous line.

God forbid, state employees open the doors a second before ten a.m.

Okay, doors unlock, last minute folks who enter the building try to cut the line. I prevent a lynchingUpon reflection, I should have let the mob string up the offenders. I think society would not have lamented their demise.

I have a low tolerance for stupidity. The arrogant, -screw-you- kind of lack of courtesy. I know, harsh punishment for such a minor infraction, granted. However, the would- be line cutters displayed an egregious lack of regard for their fellow DMV sufferers. Loud, obnoxious cell phone calls. Not having their paperwork properly filled out, blaming the DMV for their ignorance.
-sigh-

You get my drift.

I did have some bungee cords in my trunk…it wasn't too late…I'm sure the rest of the horde would back me up with a chorus of "I didn't see nuthins" when the cops showed up.

Actually, I think it’s an affirmative defense in the New York State Criminal Procedural Law.
I'd get off.
 Alas, I resisted temptation.
Now, once we got into the inner sanctum of the DMV, here is where people lose their minds. Like those yahoos at Dunkin Donuts who can't keep track of how many donuts they have after they picked out the first Bavarian cream.
I have a tip. Share a little secret with ya…READ THE SIGNS.
Take a breath. Compose yourself. I know, revolutionary concept, right?
We survived our experience. The secret to our success: Patiently taking the time to fill out all paperwork PRIOR to arrival; taking a few seconds to READ the SIGNS.

In our account less, instant gratification society, we want everything NOW.
Sorry, common senses not included.

No comments: